Please note: I am not currently looking for work of
any kind so please do not contact me.
I will update this file when I am available.
Senior Developer - Perl Guru, SQL, Web, VB
Programming: 28 years and still love it
Perl: 12 years Unix, Windows, OO, DBI, Win32, networking, CGI
SQL: 4 years MS, 3 years Sybase, 2 years Oracle
Other: C 8 years, VB 2 years, Java 1 year, VBA, VBScript, Tcl, assembler, shell scripts, Lisp.
Networking: 12 years TCP/IP, DNS, programming, Unix, Windows.
Business: team leadership, requirements capture, project management, presentations, Microsoft Office
During my career I have had an extraordinary breadth of computing experience, from integrated circuit design to artificial intelligence; from embedded systems to theoretical computer science; from industrial research to the commercial sector.
I make it my business to understand what I'm doing and
find I quickly become "departmental guru".
Though technically inclined, I put a lot of effort into communications and teamwork. I have also done a fair amount of requirements capture, project management, and team leadership.
Other Programming Languages and Operating Systems
- Assembly code (15 years – 68000, SPARC, 6502, 8086, transputer, ARM)
- Basic (20 years – Acorn)
- Documentum (four years – API, DQL, WebQL, RightSite)
- Fortran (ICL), Lisp, Prolog, Miranda, Haskell, Parallel C, Occam, Tcl
- Windows: 8 years (95, 98, NT, 2000, MS DOS)
- Unix: 21 years (Red Hat Linux, Nextstep, Openstep, Version 7, BSD, System V, SunOS, internals, X Window System)
- ICL George 4, Multijob, VMS, RISC OS
July 2003 - Present: BBC
Software Engineer, News Interactive
Worked as a developer supporting the BBC News and Sport web sites.
- Documentum 5.2: DFC, API, DQL, Java Methods, Server install
and customisation, WDK, docapp, Workflow, Media Services.
- Java: J2EE, WebObjects, Tomcat, Web Services, SonicMQ JMS, log4j
- Oracle, MS SQL
- Ant, Nant, make, Eclipse build tools
- Perl: OO, CGI, Win32, Test, GD
- VSS, Perforce source code repositories, FogBugz bug tracking system
- Testing: 3-day Parity course leading to ISEB certification
- Test tools: Empirix e-TEST, WinRunner
- ASP, VB6, C#
- .NET: practical + 3-day Developmentor course
May 1995 – March 2003: Linklaters
Top UK corporate law firm, with offices all around the world.
E-mail System Technical Consultant/Developer
- Collaborated with external developers in diagnosing and fixing bespoke
NEXTSTEP e-mail system, enabling successful international roll-out.
- Wrote Tcl and shell programs to perform administrative tasks.
Web Analyst Developer
- Lead technical consultant and developer for
(innovative service selling legal advice over the Internet).
- Requirements analysis and product selection.
- Oversaw evolution of system, worked with FrameMaker, Documentum
document management system, C, Perl, shell scripts, HTML.
- Liaised with lawyers, external web designers, and hosting companies.
Maintained and enhanced the system.
Knowledge Management Systems - Analyst Architect Developer
- Successful international roll-out of three generations of knowhow system.
- From limited access, inflexible data model, "green screen"
interface to highly configurable, open data model,
web interface, available on every desktop.
- Maintained all the code for first system: Documentum, DQL, WebQL, and DocBasic (Documentum languages for dynamically generating HTML based on the contents of the DMS) and an Active-X control in VB5.
- Third system: "Knowledge Index" – dynamic object model on relational database.
- User requirements capture (UML use cases), high-level design, feasibility studies.
- Sole responsibility for successful migration of knowhow in a variety of complex formats: Perl, SQL, DQL, MS DOS.
- Designed and implemented sophisticated algorithm for dynamic generation of SQL to implement user queries created using a query builder interface, itself driven by the dynamic object model.
- Studied behaviour of MS SQL Server 2000 query optimiser.
- Evaluated enterprise full-text search software for a number of applications including the company intranet, resulting in the successful global deployment of Verity K2E.
Development Team Leader
- Lead team of seven full-time developers producing intranet and Internet web content and ASP applications and developing knowhow applications.
- Guided or contributed directly to successful international roll-out of three generations of intranet: static, Documentum RightSite, Documentum WebPublisher.
1991 - 1995: Imperial College
Compilers, Internet Services
- Studied for Ph.D. in the Computing Department of Imperial College. Topic: implementation of functional programming languages.
- Integrated and extended two of the largest functional programs yet written to apply semantic analysis to program optimisation, transformation, and compilation.
- Studied SPARC cache performance.
- Maintained Sun workstation running Solaris, including installation of new system software, writing utility programs.
- Participated in public domain software projects, submitting modules, bug reports, and fixes for packages such as GNU Emacs.
- Ran Internet services including FTP, Gopher, and World-Wide Web servers.
- Created and still actively maintain the Free On-line Dictionary of Computing (FOLDOC) – first such Internet site and still one of the best, currently servicing ~2000 queries/day from users around the world.
1980 - 1991: GEC Hirst Research Centre, Wembley, Middlesex
Hardware, Embedded Systems, System Programmer, System Manager, Unix Guru, Networking
- Won degree sponsorship from GEC. Summer holiday jobs then permanent job.
- Programmed in C, FORTRAN, 8086 assembler, 68000 assembler
- Analysed IC fabrication techniques, e.g. plasma etching.
- Wrote Unix device drivers. Understood Unix kernel, real-time systems.
- Designed and debugged hardware.
- Maintained and debugged an Emacs-like screen editor.
Installed departmental MMDF mail system.
- Installed and managed network of Unix computers and PCs.
- Fixed Unix kernel networking code using only the machine code debugger, adb.
Research - Parallel Computers, ICs, AI
- 1986 – 1991: ESPRIT project "PADMAVATI". Built a parallel computer for AI.
- Team and Project leader (four graduate researchers plus summer students).
- Contributed to all aspects of the design and construction of hardware and software in the project.
- Designed Content Addressable Memory (CAM) integrated circuit.
- Developed C simulation and test software resulting in right-first-time chip.
- Managed various groups involved in its fabrication and testing.
- Negotiated with the other partners in the project.
- Reported to the European Commission.
1979-82 – BSc Physics (I), Imperial College, London
1978 - 1979 – Culham Laboratory, Oxfordshire
FORTRAN, simulation, numerical methods,3D vector algebra, Multijob.
1977-78 – GCE 'A'-levels
Computer Science (A), Mathematics (A2), Physics (A), Chemistry (B)
1975-76 – GCE 'O'-levels - 11 subjects
- Persian (conversational)
- French (enough to get around)
Activities and Interests
- Maintaining FOLDOC
- Karate (Shotokan purple belt)
- Reading, especially SF
- Mountain climbing and walking
Denis Howe - version 8 - 2005-05-09
- Date of birth: 15 October 1960
- Nationality: UK
- References: available on request